What's your favorite...

I am on the hunt, and you can help! If you are working on loosing weight also, and have a favorite treat, recipe, or food I'd love to hear about it. Post it in the comment section, and I'll give it a try! Thanks so much for visiting!!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chicken & Vegtable Soup

I've never made the Weight Watchers 0 point veggie soup. I've just never been a fan of the veggie soups. But I made this one out of my favorite cook book, and really liked it. And it's only 4 points for a 1 1/2 cup. Seriously, that is a LOT of soup! It was really tasty, so here you go:



(This is the picture from the book)

1 (32 Ounce) carton fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
1 (8 ounce) container refrigerated pre-chopped celery, onion, and bell pepper mix
1 cup frozen sliced carrot
1 (14 ounce) package frozen baby potato and vegetable blend (such as bird's eye)
1 teaspoon bottled minced roasted garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh baby spinach
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated fat free milk
Freshly ground black pepper (optional)

1. Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a covered large Dutch oven.
2. While broth mixture comes to a boil, place potato-vegetable blend in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with heavy-duty plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at high 5 minutes. While frozen vegetables cook, add garlic and next 4 ingredients to broth mixture; cover and continue to cook.
3. Using kitchen shears, snip cooked potato-vegetable blend into bite-sized pieces. Stir potato-vegetable blend, spinach, and milk into broth mixture. Cover and cook over high heat 5 minutes or until carrot is tender. Sprinkle with additional black pepper before serving, if desired. Yield: 6 servings (1 1/2 cups).

Calories 208
Fat 2g
Fiber 2.4g

(This was my soup)

Changes I made: I couldn't find some of the frozen blends it mentions. So I just bought one that had potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery. I also bought fresh broccoli, and canned little corns. We left out the spinach as Mike does not like cooked spinach. When I went to make it and opened my frozen bag, I discovered one potato (Yes only ONE!) in the whole bag, and onions were not chopped onions, but whole little onions. The last time I cooked with those it was REALLY gross! So I took all those out, and threw out the one potato! I still used the carrots and celery, but used a fresh potato instead. I just chopped it up really small and steamed it in the microwave. I also chopped up half a yellow onion and used fresh pressed garlic. It was really yummy and I think I like it better with the fresh veggies, then I would have if they had all been frozen.

Enjoy!

Signature

No comments: